Friday, December 26, 2008

Day 8: But later on that night...

At 5pm my blood sugar was so elevated from the Prednisone (23.9 instead of my usual 5.0 or 6.0) that I called the hospital. I was asked to come in. That's a 20 minute train journey. On Christmas night..a very cold one indeed. Gary and I were forced to walk to the train station and take the train to the hospital. It was a difficult walk for me. Thank goodness I have him. What if I lived alone? A cab would be 50 euros or something, perhaps more on a holiday night.

So we arrived at the hospital and honestly, I'm glad we went because they trained me how to give myself the insulin shots. It's actually very easy and pretty painless as I insisted on the very smallest needles they have. It's less painful than pricking my finger to test the glucose - how ironic. Well, it was a several hour process, all in all, and we arrived home without much to say to each other, we were that tired. An odd Christmas, to be sure, but at least we have our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment