Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Day 42 - 6 weeks today

The 6-week mark after the transplant is another milestone. First was the 1-week mark, the 1-month mark and now this. 6 weeks (at my particular hospital) is the time that one of the strongest of anti-rejection drugs is dropped, and luckily for me, it's the Neoral, the one that causes me the outrageous headaches. I went from a dosage of 250mg 2x per day last week and then down to 175mg 2x per day at this point. Indeed the intensity of the headaches from the Neoral diminished. They are still lurking, the headaches, but that's all they're doing. They are not agonising, just tiring, bothersome.

I was sure I was told by one doctor that I would be dropping the Prednisone, too - from 10mg per day to 5mg per day. As this is the night sweats and high-glucose offender, I was very hopeful and excited to go in to the hospital. Alas, my doctor was out, and I had another doctor tell me that he reduced the Prednisone not in 6 weeks, but in 3 months - and to 7.5mg, not 5mg. Okay, okay..I don't mind to what dosage it's dropped, but the time discrepancy seems odd. Still, it's better to be safe and I can't really question what the best thing is. I'd obviously rather keep my kidney and deal with the insulin shots and night sweats.

No comments:

Post a Comment