Friday, January 16, 2009

Day 30: Removal of the Pigtail / Double J Catheter


I'm sure some of you don't really want to read the in depth medical stuff, but then again, it's informative to others - hopefully future transplant patients. So if the idea of a catheter being removed from my urethra bothers you, do not bother to read this particular blog. I, myself, am becoming not only immune to the feelings of medical fear I once used to experience, but rather intrigued by the procedures, especially when I have them done at my local hospital where the environment is pleasant and clean and the staff friendly. I am treated as an intelligent woman and as an equal; there is not that strange power play between doctor and patient.

As I understand it, during my transplant surgery, a Double J or Pigtail catheter, was inserted to retain the structure of the surgically constructed drain from the new kidney to the bladder.

Today I had the catheter removed. I was very nervous indeed. It was the unknown that made me nervous. My understanding of it is less than perfect; I tried to do internet research on these catheters, to not much avail. My lack of Dutch has prevented me from a lot of information that I would perhaps otherwise have. And then again, sometimes doctors can be known to be a little vague, yes? Especially when they consider the procedures to be small stuff compared with transplants.

And you know what? It was pretty easy. It was no worse than my dreaded gynecological exams. Maybe better. The staff made it easier: they all burst into laughter when I told them I was nervous. 'With what you've been through? Oh, Mevrouw!!' The doctor was very helpful with his exclamations of 'Beautiful! It's healed wonderfully!' when he looked at the screen that showed the inside, where the catheter was. He then offered 'Would you like to see?' Now he appealed to my interests: just show me what's happening! What I discerned from the visual and his explanation was that during the surgery, a new hole was made to carry the urine from my new kidney and into my bladder. To give this hole structure, the catheter had to remain in place for some time. It all made sense now. I was quite pleased with the whole thing. And then the next thing I knew, after a few strange sensations, the catheter was indeed out and the doctor said 'Congratulations! This was the final stage of post-operative care. You are on your own now!'. That's what every patient wants to hear. Liberation! My own kidney!! A beautifully healed structure. Pigtail Catheter, you are a wonder.

1 comment:

  1. Pigtail Catheters is basically used in draining fluids or air from pleural spaces internally. Catheters are very common type used in treating urinary disorders such as bladder and kidney ailments. catheter and pigtail catheter manufacturers in india. pigtail catheters

    ReplyDelete