Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Acute Rejection vs. Chronic Rejection

It's a tough one today. I am just back from the transplant hospital. I went in for a regular visit, but with complaints of swelling around my eyes and knees, with a weight gain of 3 kilos within the last week, (that's 6.6 pounds). I also had some pain around the site of the new kidney over the weekend, and it's been on and off this week. I called about it on Monday and was told that I should call back only if I developed a fever or the pain increased, neither of which occurred.

Today, during my visit, this week's doctor explained that the number 2 cause of these symptoms is acute rejection, not to be confused with chronic rejection. The doctor did not explain the difference, so I was extremely alarmed with the news. This was until he asked me if this was my first experience with acute rejection. I wondered at his question, thinking 'How can it happen more than once? A rejection is surely has ultimate consequences'. So I persisted with my questioning. Now I'm slightly less worried, but still, I have been sad and crying after reading all I could on line:

Acute rejection happens to almost all patients who receive organ transplants. The patient's immune system and white blood cells recognize the transplanted organ as being foreign and mount a defense against the organ. The new organ is then incapable of working at full efficiency, and symptoms of rejection become apparent to the transplant recipient. These symptoms of rejection are very similar to the symptoms of organ failure.

Acute rejection is almost always reversible with special medication. Once successfully reversed, some patients never have trouble with acute rejection again, although some patients do have subsequent episodes. Most rejection episodes require admission to the hospital. Acute rejection is rare beyond the first year of transplant.

Signs and Symptoms of Kidney Rejection
Fever over 38°C or 100.4°F
Decreased urine output
Weight gain over 2 pounds per day
Increased blood pressure
Pain over kidney

I do have 3 out of 5 symptoms: the latter 3. I've asked them about 2 of these symptoms for the last month (as I've struggled with fluctuating weight and high blood pressure since the transplant) and they've largely put me off. This is due to the fact that my creatinine levels (the protein that is filtered by the kidneys and the most reliable test for kidney function) have remained extremely stable. But I also put it down to the fact that this hospital just does not have the staff nor the time to give me (or any other patient) more than his or her alotted ten minute visit every two weeks. It is really frustrating and depressing.

I have joined sites like Transplant Buddies and looked up as much info as I can on line. But the lack of human care is hard to handle. I really have nothing else to say until I hear the results later on this afternoon.

7:07pm: the results were good. I was told that my creatinine is 'beautiful', at 84 (0.95 U.S. level). Phew. What a load of concern. It is so scary.

In two weeks time, I will have a curve blood test done to see how the levels of drugs are in my system, to see if they can be lowered. Since they are toxic for the kidneys, this is crucial for long-term kidney health.

5 comments:

  1. Helloooo Wendy, I hope you're keeping your chin up. Great creatinine result. I always remember when my wife's kidneys were failing, creatinine was the measurement of when she would have to go onto dialysis. Looks like your new kidney is working well. Hopefully all your side affects will settle down and give you a wee bit of a break over the coming months. I'm heading to Utrecht this week to visit a pal. He also has plenty of experience with dialysis. His little boy needed dialysis when he was only 6 months old. But that's a story for another day. Keep well. Davie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Davie.

    6 months old, that's intense. My research into kidney disease often brings up a lot of information about children with renal failure - and that is a long road of health issues to deal with. I hope you have a good visit. Thanks for writing.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  3. How you doing!?!?

    xoxo

    Pink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Wendy,
    Just wanna tell you to keep at it and have
    faith that your kidney will last long
    i had mine 3 years ago at the age of 21
    im now 24 :D i have many ups and downs as well
    but positive attitude and support from family and friends always gave me the strength to
    not give up. and Davie 6 months old =/ cant imagine how the love ones of that boy went through.

    Joe

    ReplyDelete


  5. We are urgently in need of A , B , O blood group KlDNEY organs with the sum of $500,000.00 USD in Kokilaben Hospital India Contact For more details Email: kokilabendhirubhaihospital@gmail.com
    WhatsApp +91 7795833215

    ReplyDelete